Who we are
We are the Merton Junior Common Room.
Address: Merton JCR, Merton College, Merton Street, OXFORD, OX1 4JD.
Email: email@example.com (the Vice President of the JCR)
Information we collect
We currently collect and process the following information:
- Your name, course, year, and email address, if you are a Member
- Whether you have opted-out of JCR Membership
- Data you provide for accommodation allocation, including your current room, choices and preferences for your next room, and the groups you wish to ballot with. We do not keep information on ballot exemptions.
- From time to time, data you provide to JCR Officers (through online forms or else)
- If you are a Committee member, your phone number
- From time to time, event attendance lists, as provided by you, or the College
- Minutes of General Meetings, which you may attend
Why we keep this information
Most of the personal information we process is provided to us directly by you or the College to be used for the following reasons:
- To contact our Members about JCR activities, especially via the operation of the JCR mailing list.
- For the effective planning of events run or organised by the JCR or its Officers.
- To effectively and fairly allocate accommodation
- For the provision of support for Merton undergraduates, in particular the arrangement of opt-in peer-support networks of various sorts
- To record accurately the exercise of JCR procedure as required by our governing documents
Under the UK General Data Protection Regulation (UK GDPR), the lawful bases we rely on for processing this information are:
- (In cases when you have offered data voluntarily) your consent. You are able to remove your consent at any time. You can do this by contacting the Vice President.
- We have a legal obligation, under section 22 of the Education Act 1994.
- We have a legitimate interest in improving the quality of life of undergraduates
How we store your information
Your personal information is securely stored.
We keep information only while you are an undergraduate at Merton, excepting
- information which we are required to keep for 10 years: minutes and electoral records
- information which we have your explicit consent to keep for contact purposes
When deleting data, we remove it from all personal computers, and the cloud storage facilities (typically provided by the university).